Getting Started with ALEKS
You must complete your Initial Assessment by 11:59 pm on the first day of Classes
ALEKS IS VERY UNFRIENDLY TO PROCRASTINATORS. ALEKS was designed by psychologists who specialize in learning, who know that procrastinating until the night before an assignment is due and then cramming until the wee hours is not a good way to learn. You can't do ALEKS that way. You must put in some time every day, or else you will fall so far behind on basic topics that you won’t have time to complete the Objectives. It is impossible to earn a good score in ALEKS by cramming all night right before the due date.
To register as an ALEKS user:
- Go to the ALEKS web site at http://www.aleks.com.
- Click on the link marked "SIGN UP NOW" (upper left corner of the screen).
- On the next screen you will be asked to provide the course code. This is in the email that was sent out.
- The next screen will ask for your full name and your email address. Please provide all the information requested, even the information that is listed as optional. You must enter your school email address to receive credit for your work.
- On the next screen you will receive your ALEKS login name and a temporary password, and you will have the chance to chance your temporary password. We recommend that you change your temporary password.
- After you change your password, ALEKS will check your computer to see if you have the latest version of the ALEKS Java plug-in installed (see below). The plug-in will be installed automatically if it is not already installed. NOTE: The internet browsers Internet Explorer and Safari are fully supported by ALEKS, so they should run ALEKS with no problems. The plug-in for Google’s Chrome browser has a few bugs, but appears to run most features with no trouble. The first thing to try if you have trouble is another browser and another machine if possible.
- After the plug-in has been installed, you will learn how to input mathematical and chemical answers into ALEKS. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
- Once you have completed the input tutorial, ALEKS will prompt you to complete the Initial Assessment. You may choose to complete the Initial Assessment later.
No one in the department of chemistry can provide you with competent technical support for ALEKS. Do not write to your teacher with operational questions about ALEKS…she will not be able to help you. Instead, try the following resources on the ALEKS website: